Burna Boy and Trevor Noah on The Daily Show


Burna Boy was a recent guest on Trevor Noah's "The Daily Show," and the two had a lot to speak about and catch up on. 

On Zoom, the Grammy winner talked about how he made his critically praised album "Twice As Tall," having his mother, Bose Ogulu, as his manager, hints at a new album release date, and becoming the first Nigerian musician to sell out Madison Square Garden. 

While Trevor Noah stated that people all around the world are attempting to mimic what Nigerian musicians are doing, Burna added that this does not include the Nigerian government. 

One when his forthcoming album will come out:

"It's going to come out on the day everyone for themselves when it's their own day," he said when questioned about the album's release date. 

Regarding how he was able to record the "African Giant" album utilizing Zoom during the pandemic: 

It’s not like Zoom has a recording studio. It was basically the laptop with all the parties involved and while we are making music and stuff, everyone was like “this is the song we have to choose,” and it just worked out. 

Artists with whom Burna Boy had hoped to collaborate but was taken aback when the opportunity arose: 

“Everyone on my last album and the previous. Like working with Angélique Kidjo on the previous one and working with Youssou N’Dour. Like these are people that I watched on TV when I was in pampers. Seeing them in real life and actually making music with them and getting the love. Sometimes it gets kind of weird because I’m like ‘My mum loves you.” 

On having his mother as his manager: It's not all roses and peaches, but there's a lot of food, and that's enough to make me happy.

Burna Boy accused Coachella of disrespecting him by printing his name in small characters, prompting the label "African Giant." 

Explaining the situation to Noah, he said, “I am looking for my name and I can’t find my name. I am like – am I really performing? “ They had to circle it for me. That’s never happened to me before. I am used to being the African giant. 

“I didn’t like it and I expressed myself. Not just for that but so, everyone that comes after me won’t have to go through that,” he said.